- Service and Solutions Provider
- Manual storage of patient records and backlog of medical records
- Searching for information consumed valuable time
- Space for storage was cumbersome and involved additional manpower
- Security of documents not assured with manual filling of the records
- More cost incurred to provide space, manpower for filling and tools for manual document management
- Retrieval of information also required a long process and work flow between relevant divisions got slowed down
- LSC outsourced their backlog medical information to be digitally archived to Docu Arch which uses the Canon DR X10C, Canon DR 5010C and Canon DR 4010C. All documents since 2003 - 2008 have been archived for easy retrieval
- The Centre got 8 units of Canon DR 2510C to implement on-the-spot scanning and updating of patient records especially data from external sources like medical test results and patient referrals
- More efficient document management
- Seamless workflow between divisions
- Cost saving on storage space, additional manpower as well as paper conservation
- More stringent access resulting in increase in security for documents
Island Hospital is a 240-bedded hospital in the heart of Penang Island, Georgetown. It began its service in 1996. The hospital started its caring nature from its architecture, with wide open spaces and friendly integrated units to enhance the experience and make their patients and their families comfortable.
The hospital offers a wide range of medical, surgical and emergency services 24 hours a day. They also have special units specializing in key areas of medicine like the i Care Fertility Centre, i Heart Centre, i Sports Centre, i Spine Centre and i Oncology Centre.
The hospital has 4 major divisions which require access to patient records namely the doctors, medical records department, IT and accounts. In the past, the information updated by all these divisions were manually added on to the patients records. Referred cases, external blood tests, scan and X-ray reports were put together in files.
This process besides occupying a lot of space at the hospital was also time consuming and involved significant manpower. In addition, there was also a lot of paper waste in printing of these results for manual filling. When
needed, the records had to be searched manually which demanded more time and manpower to ensure the patient's experience at the centre is smooth when dealing with all the relevant divisions. Overall, the existing system posed a challenge when it came to retrieval, storage space, manpower consumption and security of the
private records of the patients as they were manually stored.
Towards the end of 2006, Island Hospital decided to upgrade its systems to create a better flow of information between the divisions and to effectively cut down time to manage these data and route their manpower to managing a better environment for their patients and their family. In 2007, they outsourced their archiving to
Docu Arch, a company which provides document management services. Docu Arch proceeded to use Canon scanners, namely the Canon DR X10C, Canon DR 5010C and Canon DR 4010C for a project to digitally archive the Hospital's backlog medical records for 2003 - 2008. In 2009, the hospital began using 8 units of Canon Scanners, the DR 2510C to update medical records on a daily basis. All external paper documents that were derived from the patients and specialists offices were digitally added on to the system and were linked through all the divisions which required the information. Canon DR 2510C is a colour compact footprint scanner which scans at a speed of 25ppm and can handle a wide variety of documents from thick documents, multi sheet forms, laminated materials and embossed materials. The units enable the hospital to swiftly add on information to the system as it provides customizable job buttons like scan to email or scan to folder functions. The scanners also come with efficient bundled softwares to further simplify the data entry to Island Hospital's systems with: Adobe Acrobat 8 Standard - for document sharing and security, file commenting and much more PaperPort SE - for easy storage, organization and retrieval of digital documents OmniPage - converts original paper documents into editable electronic files through Optical Character Recognition (OCR) BizCard 5 - scans business cards to convert and organise contact information into a searchable database.
Since the use of Canon scanners via Docu Arch and also internally, Island Hospital has achieved the following:
- Better managed patient records with easy access to updates by all the relevant division and a more seamless operation that is invisible to the patients. Swift communication between divisions means that patients are served faster during their visits to the hospital.
- The utilization of Canon scanners has also provided a significant amount of cost savings to the hospital as it has reduced the requirement of storage space and usage of paper and folders for storage.
- The hospital on the whole has also become more efficient as they are able to pull out patient's records with just a click of a button. It had been able to re-route its manpower to carry out more essential job functions rather than manually updating files.
- Digital documentation is easier to manage with the OCR capabilities which allows for editing and supported by software that enables direct scanning to folders. The digitally stored information also enables easier recall of files and patients full medical records at the touch of a button.
- The level of security for the documents has also improved with scanned files being encrypted and different levels of access security implemented. This ensures only necessary parties are able to access the information.